Seeking School Campaigns Coordinator
Part-time: 20hrs at $24 p/hr
Fixed-term employment over twelve months with potential to become a permanent role.
Applicants may be based anywhere in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Out on the Shelves is an online resource that lists books with rainbow themes and characters, with the aim of supporting rainbow young people to find stories that represent their identities in positive and affirming ways.
Out on the Shelves is also an opportunity to create more visibility in our school and community libraries. Our campaign week is a chance for libraries to promote and build their rainbow collections, celebrate these stories and help connect rainbow young people with their stories and with each other.
Schools Pride Week is a celebratory positive week of events that supports rainbow young people to have a sense of belonging in their schools and communities. We hope that by celebrating and normalising rainbow identities through our Schools Pride campaign we can help reduce the experiences of bullying and distress for our rainbow rangatahi in schools.
Both Out on the Shelves and Schools Pride Week take place annually in June and were previously coordinated independently of each other. We are excited to trial working on these cohesively all year-round with this new role.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Overseeing the coordination and delivery of the campaigns
- Updating and developing the websites through WordPress
- Liaising with schools and libraries to promote the campaigns
- Improving the campaigns’ usefulness and relatability to Māori and other ethnic minorities
- Leading the creation of informational guides and resources for schools and libraries around topics such as rainbow representation in the curriculum
- Organising events relevant to the campaign e.g. virtual panels
- Overseeing a writing competition for rainbow young people
- Overseeing the creation of promotional materials
- Working with other staff and volunteers to deliver and promote the project
- Working with a youth advisory group to deliver the project
- Planning and overseeing the distribution of resources and merchandise
- Regular reporting to our Managing Director
- Gathering feedback and completing an evaluation report for the project
We are looking for someone with superb organising and communication skills (written and verbal). Knowledge and passion about schools, rainbow literature and media would be an asset. The ideal applicant will be self-motivated with strong time management skills, proven experience planning and coordinating successful projects, and experience using WordPress, Google Suite, Canva or Photoshop. Knowledge of the challenges faced by rainbow communities would be an advantage.
We are committed to Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and honouring mātauranga Māori and tikanga Māori. Our preference is for someone who shares these commitments, and either has a strong understanding of te ao Māori, or is willing to learn.
We are particularly interested to hear from anyone with previous campaign management or marketing experience who may be able to help grow the campaign to reach more schools and libraries.
InsideOUT is a growing organisation that works to support youth, whānau, schools, community groups, youth services, government agencies and other relevant organisations to provide safer schools and communities for young people of minority sexualities, sexes and genders. More information about the organisation is available on our website: insideout.org.nz
E-mail your CV and cover letter to email@example.com by Thursday 23rd December 2021 to apply.
InsideOUT is an inclusive employer and we value diversity. Applications will be considered regardless of ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexuality, physical or mental ability. Work hours and locations can also be flexible.